Leading to Self-Sufficiency in the Logical Thinking Process of Goldratt’s Theory of ConstraintsA Five-Day Jonah-Workshop with Bill Dettmer in Linz, Austria from June 13-15 and 18-19, 2012
You can register by simply sending an email to email@example.com.
Instructor – Bill Dettmer as Your Jonah’s Jonah
This workshop will be taught by H. WILLIAM DETTMER (in English). He’s a Jonah’s Jonah, an internationally renowned consultant in the application of constraint management, and author of four books on the Theory of Constraints:
Developed by Dr. Eliyahu M. Goldratt, the logical thinking process is the most comprehensive tool available for quickly identifying and breaking system constraints—the factors that limit the success of an entire business.
The thinking process is a five-tool method for enabling anyone in any kind of organization to determine:
- What SHOULD be happening?
- WHAT to change?
- What to change TO?
- HOW to effect the change?
What are we trying to achieve?
Intermediate Objectives Map. Establishes a hierarchy of a.) Goal, b.) Critical Success Factors, and c.) Necessary Conditions as a benchmark for assessing change.
What do we do about it?
Evaporating Cloud. Identifies and resolves both overt and hidden conflicts that perpetuate root causes of undesirable outcomes. Helps create new, lasting solutions to chronic problems.
Future Reality Tree. Structures a “master change plan” and verifies that proposed solutions will work before resources are invested in them. Identifies possible adverse side-effects of the proposed solution and ways to prevent them.
What’s the problem?
Current Reality Tree. Reveals root causes of the undesirable outcomes or weak performance we see in any system – the constraint that prevents improved performance.
How do we start?
Prerequisite Tree. Uncovers obstacles to execution of the change plan and helps create ways around the obstacles. Time-sequences the indispensable actions required to overcome the obstacles.
Execution/Change Management. Converting new ideas into solutions; managing decision-maker expectations; overcoming resistance to change.
What you will be able to do after completing the course
- Successfully identify the true causes of unsatisfactory outcomes in YOUR system, whether personal or professional, using logical, verifiable cause-and-effect
- Identify and resolve daily and chronic conflicts that hinder you from achieving your goals
- Evaluate the potential for success before initiating change (risk mitigation), either in your personal life or in your organization
- Uncover the pitfalls that could result from any change you might consider making and determine what you should do to “navigate” around them
- Identify the “roadblocks” to change and the ways to overcome them (and in what order)
- Lay out a detailed implementation plan for change and persuade others to help with it
- Improve your odds of success before even beginning to take action
- Quickly identify questionable or ill-considered proposals from others
- Wednesday, June 13: Introduction to the Thinking Process; Categories of Legitimate Reservation; Intermediate Objectives Map
- Thursday, June 14: Current Reality Tree
- Friday, June 15: Current Reality Tree (continued); Evaporating Cloud
- Saturday, June 16: recreational programme (optional)
- Monday, June 19: Future Reality Tree; Negative Branch
- Tuesday, June 19: Prerequisite Tree; Transition Tree; Change management using the Thinking Process
Who should attend?
- Executives with strategic or tactical leadership responsibilities
- Internal or external change agents responsible for complex problem-solving
- Project managers faced with a rapidly changing environment
- Managers with responsibility for quality or continuous improvement (i.e., lean, Six Sigma, kaizen, etc.) within their organizations
When and where?
The workshop consists of five 8-hour days (8:00 AM to 12:00 AM, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM): Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday.
There is a certain amount of evening work.
Fee: €3,200 per person (excl. VAT, 3,840 incl. VAT)
You can register by simply sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The price does not include your accomodation.
The price includes meals during the 5 seminar days and a dinner (probably on Thursday), as well as seminar materials and the following two text books:
Attendees are responsible for their own travel and meals. Linz hotel information will be provided upon request.
Attendance is limited to 15 people.
Since we know that you’ll love the course, we can easily offer you a money-back guarantee.
If you feel that you get no value out of the course, you are free to leave the course after the first three days and we will refund you the entire course fee. We would appreciate your honest feedback in that case.
Testimonials from Participants
Franz Nowak, CEO of PriNetSol
For Franz Nowak, the “Intermediate Objectives Map” (IO Map) was the most valuable piece of new knowledge. Bill introduced the IO Map to the larger audience in his recent book “The Logical Thinking Process.”
The following interview is in German.
Older Testimonials for Bill’s Workshop
Christoph Steindl took this Workshop in early 2006 – in an exclusive 1:1 tutorial together with Bill Dettmer at home in Port Angeles, Washington.
He reflected about what he learned during those 3+3 days of intensive training with Bill on a blog of Jeff Kinsey.
For your ease, we’ve copied the review here as well (and we’ve added some comments in brackets):
- There is a very big difference between:
- what you know after reading Bill’s 2 books [Goldratt’s Theory of Constraints and Breaking the Constraints to World-Class Performance; the current book however is The Logical Thinking Process] and Lisa’s book [Thinking for a Change]
- what you know after the course
- It was amazing how much Bill cared. I really enjoyed the two day break, the trips to Cape Flattery, the Miramere Falls, and the ridge [sightseeing locations on the Olympic penninsula]
- I’m now confident in applying the thinking process and using the tools
- I’m not afraid to answer questions about TOC
- I received a lot of “behind the scenes” insight about TOC
- I’m very glad to have more than a student’s relationship with Bill, I’m actively looking for opportunities to cooperate and do joint work with Goal Systems International [this workshop where Bill came to Austria in 2008 already and again now in 2009 is one example for joint business]
- I received a lot of value from the course, and have since applied the tools to building my own business [back then I was self-employed, now we are a team of 15 people]
- I now have a thorough understanding of the Current Reality of my new business, of the Future Reality, and how to make it happen [inspite of all the difficulties of starting and growing a business, we always focused on the current constraint – with very good results]
- Since the course, I’ve used the tools with a colleague to outline our joint Future Reality [this colleague was Christian Federspiel, Christoph’s business partner with Catalysts]
- We will use our findings to focus our joint efforts to “make money now and more in the future”
- Bill has pointed me to the Crawford Slip Method, which I immediately applied to my way of doing Retrospectives
- Group-brainstorming has become twice as efficient using the Crawford Slip Method
- I received great feedback from one of my clients by using this new tool
- Bill pointed me to Dieter Legat and a couple of books on marketing & sales (one of my weak points due to the CRT analysis) [we have worked together with Dieter Legat in the meantime, this cooperation turned out to be very inspiring]
- I’ve already used Strategic Navigation’s Strategic Intermediate Objectives (SIO) map for making the Goal, the Critical Success Factors and Necessary Conditions clear to 20 participants at a committer meeting of an open source project
- The leaders of the project immediately found the SIO map very useful and will use it to focus their efforts [at least they said they would do that, then didn’t really take care of it => and the project floundered…]
- In summation, I received a lot of value from the course, especially from Bill as a person and from his willingness to pass on knowledge and assist with my networking efforts
- I am already using several of the techniques for my own private life, for my business activities, and with my clients
- I cannot tell when I break even financially, but I can tell you, that two of my current clients are now very interested in learning more about TOC [breakpoint was reached by add-on business after at most half a year after taking the course]
- I can now serve my clients at a level of quality which wouldn’t have been possible before the Jonah3+3™ course
- It was well worth the money – REALLY!!!
I know that I’ve forgotten at least as many things as I’ve mentioned!